CASQA develops and publishes four Best Management Practices (BMP) Handbooks generally matched to the three kinds of stormwater permits. The Construction and Industrial & Commercial BMP Online Handbooks require a subscription to view. The Municipal and New Development & Redevelopment Handbooks are available to download for free, or available to purchase in print.
Subscription-Based Handbooks (one year subscription)
These interactive online references provide the information you need to stay in compliance with California stormwater regulations for a construction or an industrial general permit, with detailed monitoring guidance and inspection forms, including the SWPPP Template. Purchasing a subscription assures that you are getting the latest version of the handbook (Construction- Jan 2015; Industrial & Commercial - Sep 2014).
SWPPP Template Information
The template is available in both a .pdf and a .doc version in each BMP Online Handbook:
- The .doc version gives users the ability to fill in background information in the indicated areas or delete content that is not appropriate for their facilities - the .pdf version is not editable.
- Both versions include instructions, but the instructions in the Word document are as hidden text. Hidden text can be turned on or off by clicking the Show button (¶ symbol) in the top row of the document menu bar.
Annual subscriptions are available for individuals (CASQA members and non-members) as well as for groups (CASQA members only).
- CASQA membership does not include a subscription to the BMP Online Handbooks (including the SWPPP Templates), however, CASQA members receive reduced subscription rates.
- Purchasing a subscription does not include CASQA membership.
Purchase the Construction BMP Online Handbook
Purchase the Industrial & Commercial BMP Online Handbook
Group Subscription Information
Available for CASQA members only.
Group subscriptions have a designated primary subscriber (purchaser) who can share the subscription with others (sub-subscribers). Adding sub-subscribers is the responsibility of the primary subscriber and is a one time step unless someone leaves or joins the organization.
Subscription expiration alert emails are sent to the primary subscriber at 90, 60, 30, and 3 days before the expiration date.
- Subscriptions must be renewed before the expiration date to receive the renewal rate. If not, you will be charged the full subscription rate.
- There is no penalty for early renewal. Upon renewal, 12 months will be added to the original expiration date.
- If not renewed by 11:59 PM Pacific time on the day before the expiration date, access to the BMP Online Handbook will be denied. For those with group subscriptions access will also be denied for your sub-subscribers.
- If you are upgrading to a broader subscription type, you must pay the initial rate for the new subscription type and then the renewal rate after the first year.
To renew your BMP Online Handbook subscription, please follow the steps below:
- The CASQA website does not support Internet Explorer 8 or 9. Please upgrade to Internet Explorer 10+ or use another browser such as Firefox or Chrome.
- Renewals must be done through the account of the primary subscriber (purchaser). Log in to your CASQA account page.
- Select the Renew or Re-purchase tab and look for the subscription that needs to be renewed; click 'renew' - the discount will automatically be deducted in the shopping cart.
Municipal BMP Handbook
This handbook provides the information you need to stay in compliance with California stormwater regulations for a municipal general permit.
New Development & Redevelopment BMP Handbook
This handbook provides the information you need to stay in compliance with California stormwater regulations for Phase I and II municipal permits.
BMP Handbook Training
Interested in training related to the CASQA BMP Handbooks? Through an agreement with CASQA, the Office of Water Programs, California State University, Sacramento offers an online training course on the Municipal BMP Handbook. The course is designed to provide continuing education for professional engineers, employees of municipal agencies, regulatory agencies, developers, construction companies, and others to increase their knowledge of stormwater best management practices. Two continuing education units (CEUs) will be awarded for completing the course.
BMP Training Videos
Training staff on good housekeeping best management practices is a required component of all municipal stormwater permits. The CASQA Phase II Subcommittee has produced videos to help with the challenge of providing this training. A list of critical targeted training topics was developed and the top five were selected for production in 2018. The training videos demonstrate how to do things the right way, focusing on positive actions for preventing pollution. They are short and singular in topic so that some municipal staff might watch only one or two, depending on the nature of the work they perform, while others may need to watch all of them.